Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Twenty Ten

Post-holiday stress levels seem so low in comparison with the holidays themselves. Michelle and I did an awful lot of traveling--to west Michigan the week before Christmas to visit her extended family, and to east Michigan a couple days after to visit mine. They all like her more than they like me. I don't mind. I like her more than I like me too.

Barnes and Noble has been nice enough to give me two weeks off. That is to say, I am at the bottom of the totem poll and everyone before are getting all the hours before I am. Not that I mind too much. It's giving me time to look for a new job. I had breakfast with one of the associate pastors at Vineyard about an internship there. It wouldn't pay much more than gas, but it would give a lot of opportunity to serve, which is what everyone I know who's worked in ministry told me to do. I still have the substitute application that I've been holding onto, and now that Christmas break is over, school's back in. There are also a few children's homes that I'll be sending applications to. And I'll probably send Woodwind and Brasswind my resume.

I picked up the new Flaming Lips record today (Embryonic). It's so bleeding fantastic. It's one of those records that make me want to grab a bass guitar and a drum machine and throw something onto tape.
Other records I've been enjoying a lot lately:
Portishead - Third
Grizzly Bear - Vecktimest
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (allegedly the greatest pop album ever recorded. I started listening to it while driving, and instead of going home, I sat in the McDonald's parking lot and let it play through. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant)

I recorded a little instrumental track for the next album (this one isn't done yet though) and put it on my myspace. It's called 'o be still be still be still.' It's a little more experimental than some other things I've done. The rest of the album will be similar in that way.

Michelle made me a paper chain to count down to the wedding. On the inside of each ring, she wrote a memory, something she loves about me, or a prayer for us. I greatly appreciate and enjoy that woman.

Thank You, Lord, for Your blessings.

No comments: