Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Submarine

About a month ago, I attended the inservice for Mishawaka Schools, thus putting me into the substitute teaching service. A few days later, my Aunt Sue, who is a program assistant for two special needs second graders, called me to substitute for her some morning. I did, gladly, and enjoyed myself greatly. In the days that followed, I checked the automated system regularly, but was entirely unable to find any assignments. And so, I took my job search elsewhere--Starbucks, Best Buy, etc. There was a job fair at a Starbucks where they would be performing open interviews for full time positions. I arrived, confident in my chance and in my cafe experience, and was shortly told that the positions they were hiring required Sunday morning positions, which I can't give because of my involvement with the worship team. I left, almost dumbfounded, started my car and stared into my unemployment. "Lord, what do you have for me?"

The day after, I attended the inservice at Penn Schools, and hoped to find some jobs through that corporation, even though the pay is five dollars less per day. The next day, I was on the automated system's website, trying to figure out the multi-district options. While doing that, I went to the view of my preferred schools for Mishawaka. I was baffled; I had marked every school, every day, yet I was entirely unable to find any jobs. But lo! What is this? Above the list of schools--two previously unnoticed check marks. The first: "I would like to receive assignments from the schools marked below." My gaff: I had marked the second.

So I fixed THAT, and I've worked everyday since. First, subbing for the least organized social studies teacher at Mishawaka's social studies classes. Today and yesterday, I was subbing for a first grade class, which was much more of a handful. I love five and six year olds, but in small groups. Sixteen is not a small group, especially when all of them want to be your best friend and tell you everything about their lives all of the time. But, nevermind. I love them in large groups, too. Then, tomorrow, I'm subbing for another program assistant who was in my class in second grade.

It's good to have a job. Especially when Michelle and I just filled out an application for an apartment.

The Lord provides.

No comments: