Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Explosion

Yesterday morning, I was messing around with my pedal board and out of nowhere got an idea for a song. In a few hours, it was finished. After listening to it on repeat several times (it's play count at iTunes since yesterday is 18), I opened up a few more GarageBand projects, and ideas just started pouring out. This isn't too unusual, except for the last year or so of my life. My musical experience moved beyond the ambient, indie, folky stuff I had listened to for years, and an explosion happened. I discovered Krautrock. I discovered shoegaze. I discovered psychedelic, free jazz, noise rock, noise pop, post-rock, avant-pop, post-punk, dub reggae, etc., etc. My palette of influences jumped from a major influence list of about five (Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Bon Iver, Wilco, Fleet Foxes) to about thirty (Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Bon Iver, Wilco, Fleet Foxes, Deerhunter, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Grizzly Bear, Charles Mingus, the Flaming Lips, Dirty Projectors, early Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, Explosions in the Sky, Can, Scientist, Animal Collective, etc., etc.). And on top of that, I had started expanding my effects pedals, expanding my sonic palette as well. Ideas just leaked out of me. So much was coming out of me, and it was so different, that I felt completely lost. In twelve months, I wrote maybe four songs I was happy with, and I had a thousand other pieces of ideas that would never fit together.
And now, I think the clouds are starting to clear. In the past three weeks, I've had several ideas come together that I am really happy with. Time will tell if the ideas will flesh out like yesterday's song did, but if they don't something else will. That's one of the things I love about music. It always changes. There are songs I wrote four years ago that I'm putting to record now, and they're almost unrecognizable, and I like that.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I like your blog
Please follow me
http://unaaficionadaavertesonreir.blogspot.com/

Five different worlds. said...

Please, follow us! You are so good!
http://sevendifferentworlds.blogspot.com/

rsctt said...

good for you! Bravo..


http://wayfarersquest-rsctt.blogspot.com

jenny a said...

New post please!! :-)


And, check out my new story blog! I'd loove your feedback. Thanks. star-crossed-hearts.blogspot.com

Whitney said...

I like your blog, it's really cool!

Anonymous said...

Найди свою профессию!
http://profession.at.ua/

tiaolou004 said...

Cheap Cigarettes Newport 100s first, the young people do not afford us the member only to sell for the adult 6 to 30 US dollar superior cigars and fight the smoke superiorly. Next, takes an association, we have the opposition to sell the tobacco to the minor the strict policy. The international superior cigar with fights the smoke retail merchant association to support prevents the superior Newport Cigarettes with to fight the smoke to enter hand's of minor any endeavor Newport Cigarettes Website.

But achieves this goal the method, the numerous laws which was the execution has governed arranges the opposition minor who smokes." Because the tobacco which said besides Spang will raise the transaction which and the employment the tax will receive endangers, he will lead the international superior cigar and the retail merchant association firmly believed that estimated through will propose the fund which the tax will collect not to achieve the anticipated level nearly, will only harm Maryland's employment, the tax revenue and the trade.

Spang said: "will purchase the cigar and other tobacco product Maryland adult will flee to peripheral various states, because in these states, Cheap Newports price the state tax rate only will be Maryland present tax rate half, but will be lower. In fact, Pennsylvania's non-cigarette tobacco product tax is zero, but in the District of Columbia, the superior cigar is tax-free."

After the grower, the tobacco export and the manufacture company and the Pakistani Marlboro Reds Committee's members consult, compared last year, enhanced 13% the tobacco price, current season in flue-cured tobacco tobacco's lowest support price determination for each kilogram 117 rupees Newport Regular Cigarettes.

Amazing Love said...

I happen to be searching around for good subject matter. I appreciate what steps you took to write about this.
panerai replica

china oil painting reproductions said...

Quite nice article,Very happy to visit your blog.Share it with my friend.I will always visit your blog

Unknown said...

Love your post! Please check out my blog, I post poems weekly!
robbinandsoarz.blogspot.sg