Saturday, January 24, 2009

Part II

Yesterday's short little post and a conversation with my friend Kath led to the creation of the National Vinyl Society (Bethel Chapter) Facebook group, which then tonight led to a sweet, sweet record listening party that stretched on for over four hours. Super hip freshman Brent, as well as dear friends Karen and Jess. We listened to choice records and bits of records, with the new Bon Iver EP "Blood Bank" receiving much well deserved care. We drank tea (well...they did. I had two cups of extra strength coffee. Smart idea, nathaniel.) and watched the bad kung fu movies that were playing on mute to accompany the music. By the way, Demon Days by the Gorillaz is a great record to play kung fu to.

After they all left, I made good on my decision to switch my music consumption into creation and sit down and force myself to write a song. So with two cups of coffee in my veins and doubts and fear in my heart, I sat down with a guitar and a typewriter and wrote what is now "Oh My Lord," a challenging, difficult-to-sing song that I secretly hope is more exaggerated than I know it really is.

I'm a nerd. I really am. I may be nerdy about so called 'cool' things, but I'm a nerd nonetheless. The writing process of "Oh My Lord" was my best attempt at being Bob Dylan, who while living in a friend's New York apartment writing the album that became "Bringing It All Back Home" spent most of his time in the back room drinking a glass of red wine and pecking away at a typewriter. I didn't have any red wine, but if I did, that probably would have happened as well.

I really want to be able to live off of my songs. I want to be able to throw myself into this completely, and meet everyone in the world while doing it.

No comments: