Saturday, October 4, 2008

Non-sequitor

I got this blog with the intention of updating every other day or so. Oh well. I suppose it's alright to neglect it if I'm doing more important things.
However, I don't really know if refreshing Facebook a hundred times a day counts as 'more important things...'

Last night, I went to a bonfire for my friend Trapp's birthday. I met several people (Paul, Josh, Ryan, ...steve? Maybe?) and saw a few friends again (Sam, Lucas, Pat, Trapp) that I haven't seen in a while. We sat around the fire passing an acoustic guitar back and forth. Then there was a segment of the night where Paul put the guitar in open D 5 tuning (nevermind this if you don't know what it means) and proceeded to play a bunch of old Dashboard Confessional tunes that Lucas and I hollared along to, not knowing all of the words, but hollaring all the same. Then we went to IHOP, where we all said in unison, 'Kyle' several times to get the attention of a friend of ours that is a server. He mostly ignored us. There were several other times where we would do something that would draw the entire restaurant's attention to our table. I also bartared for food with the saltines the waitress would give me. I ended up with a plate off scrambled eggs, hash browns, and bacon. Score.

The other day, I found a YWAM missionary school in Lyon, France that specializes in creative and artistic ministries--such as music. I've been thinking about going through YWAM since the summer after I graduated, and going to a base in France since this summer, but they only had two bases, and one of them was only a 3 month training while the other was in the country. Then the other day, I looked again, and this base had been established. It's on the outskirts of a major city, and six months long, three of which will be spent on the missions field, either to Asia, Africa, or Europe. Given the post-christian nature of the United States (to which I have been called), I would try to go to Europe.
But France has been on my mind a lot lately. This base comes out of nowhere. I talk to someone at the bonfire whose son spent time in a ministry in Paris. I meet someone from France. I use a website to find new music that is in French. Last night, my friends Kath, Lauren, and I had a conversation last night about how we all want to pick French back up.

My tour with Superbomb and Vine Street continues tonight in the Acorn. gia was talked about playing piano with us, but she became ill, and so is unable. She will be joining the band, however. The plans are also in the work to get booked for a Halloween show, which we will play in costume. Music has been taking my life by storm, and I have no complaints. I love music more now than I ever have.

I'm reading Ephesians right now. There's a lot of talk in there about being predestined, and good works being set aside for us to do in advance. In the past, I've almost avoided thinking of these things because I didn't all the sudden want to admit that I might be a Calvinist. But lately, I've been realizing that Calvinist and Arminian are not the only sides, just like how Catholic and Protestant aren't the only sides. One of the things I've been thinking lately is that Calvinist and Arminian are different sides of the same coin (then people mention that they contradict eachother in points, in which case I remember that they're largely [forgive me] man-made [however inspired] explanations of how they interpret the mysteries of God). But I don't want to get stuck on one side--I want to understand the whole coin. I want to understand the sacraments of Catholicism; the traditions of the Eastern Church; the fear of God in Reformed tradition; the trust in the Spirit of the charismatic denominations; the outreach emphasis of evangelical protestantism...etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about this one;
The idea that God doesn't know the future, moreover that there's no such thing as "future." There's no such thing as time, thus God wouldn't live outside of it. Prophetic words or prophesies are actual, and God brings them about by being strong enough to handle anything as our idea of "time" progresses, but of course no linear movement (time) besides the movement of the sun and things that make us imagine we're "aging."

It sure beats the heck out of pre-destination and gives hope to belief in prayer, as in knowing that God will actually hear and respond to our requests rather than imagine that God already knew what we were asking for and "why did i pray for that if God already knew i was going to ask for it."

There's a couple of issues with it that need to be dealt with, but it's a pretty solid concept. It's much deeper, but I'll refrain from continuing this posting of a crazy Bill Barnwell note on your blog.