Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Oh, For a Life to Live

Yesterday was service day at Bethel College (because obviously, the entire commitment to community service mentioned in Bethel's mission statement can be fulfilled in a single day). I went with a group to a nursing home, where there was much laughter. I played checkers with a man named Jerry, who had a wife named Jerry, and a son also named Jerry. He said it's easy to remember. A man named Richard who couldn't remember his condition (but otherwise seemed to have it very together) told me about how he was an atheist in school 'because I didn't know any better,' and three years ago became a Christian. A woman named Avon yelled for orange juice repeatedly. We took a walk from some of the patients in the dementia unit. It was saddening, but rewarding to spend time with the residents who don't often get visitors.

I've been realizing more and more that my future is completely open. That, and my ministry doesn't have to look like what I've seen before. We went to a church in Chicago on Sunday that had a sort of emergent feel to it, but without the tendency to move away from the Scripture. That, and the possibility of a session at YWAM Lyon have gotten me to realize that my creativity does not at all have to be a stranger to my ministry. And furthermore, if I do end up going to YWAM, that still means I have nine months between graduation and leaving for France that are completely open. I talked with a singer/songwriter friend about the possibility of a tour...and just talking about that has made me realize that going on tour is a complete possibility. So are a thousand other things. I just want whatever the Lord has for me.
Oh, what life could be

No comments: