Friday, December 26, 2008

Because Too Much Music has been In My Head

2008 was a music explosion for me.  Between discovering the Black Cab Sessions, la Blogotheque, Ruckus, and various vinyl purchases, I've heard and enjoyed and fallen in love with more music this year than ever before.  To make a list of everything I've discovered and loved would be a very difficult undertaking.  Instead, I will make a list of the most notable.  After all.  Tis the season for year end lists.

Bon Iver - "For Emma, Forever Ago"
this record has received more plays since I've received it than any other I have.  Every time I put it on, I can't believe how fantastic it is.  I know it's cliche to mention in an end of the year list, but I don't care.  It deserves it.

Radiohead - most notably, In Rainbows, Kid A, Amnesiac
My friend Kriss called In Rainbows a boring pop record.  I disagree.  I think it's one of the greatest pop records of all time...if your definition of pop is wide enough to include albums that feature an orchestra playing all twelve notes in the western music scale.  I got Kid A on vinyl and came to appreciate it so much more.  I found out Amnesiac existed in the summer and felt cheated.

Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
The best material they've ever done and one of my favorite albums of all time.  Thank you, Brian Eno, for pushing Coldplay into dangerous waters.

Thrice - The Alchemy Index
Especially Vol III, Air, which I'd say is the strongest Thrice material ever released.  

The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again
Tranquility in album form.

Fleet Foxes - s/t and Sun Giant EP
The most infectious melodies and harmonies you'll hear in a long time.  Take the Beach Boys, throw in an acoustic guitar, a mandolin, some xylophones, and Sub Pop's fantastic taste for talent, and bam.   A pair of records that you'll listen to over and over again.

Loney, Dear - Loney, Noir
Sweden just keeps putting out incredible musicians.  This guy is no exception.  It's almost like if Jonsi of Sigur Ros was the lead singer of a chamber pop orchestra.  Incredibly catchy and just genuinely excellent song writing.

Lykke Li - Youth Novels
Another Swedish gem.  Dance pop with Indie tendencies.  Fantastic record from a very young talent.  

Phosphorescent - Aw Come Aw Wry
A quirky, country tinged album.  It's so childish and fantastic.  You'll either love it or you'll hate it.  I love it.  
I haven't listened to the album Pride enough to make a decision, but that seems pretty fantastic as well.

Adam Arcuragi - Soldiers for Feet EP
A wonderful new song writer.  This is a collection of country songs sung by a non country singer.  Thick, rich harmonies and good, melancholy, nostalgic songs.   Check out "The Belgian"

There are many other notable additions, such as Noah and the Whale's "Peaceful, the World Lays me Down," the Great Lake Swimmers (whose material I wish was readily available on vinyl.  Darn little known bands on small budget record labels), and the Innocence Mission.  There are also many releases I wish I would have heard more of, like TV on the Radio's "Dear Science," Sigur Ros's new one, Man Man's "Rabbit Habits," and more.   

And of course, there's the growing love of Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, and more recently, Emmylou Harris that have been coming around, threatening to turn me into a country singer.

Music is so much more than the sum of its parts.  I don't understand it at all.


No comments: