Monday, September 15, 2008

Musicscapes.

Today was the singer/songwriter chapel. The singer/songwriter was Mark Roach. He's a worship leader in his local church and a recording artist on a major label. He led us in worship, playing songs that he wrote.

He kept using the phrase, 'Bringing people into the presence of God.' And it got me thinking about my own songs...
Do I write with the intention of bringing people into the presence of God? I can assure you...I do not. Even with the few songs I've written that I've thought of as worship songs, they've spoken more about human suffering and bringing Jesus into that.

I asked the question...does that mean that my songs are on a lower level? Am I not fulfilling my duties as an artist of God? I really...don't think that's so. Sure, you wouldn't be able to have a chapel of students stand up and worship God to my songs, but do they have to fulfill that purpose? I don't think so. Sure, there's a place for songs that praise God for who He is regardless of our own insufficiencies and apart from the terribly messed up world we live in. But that's not my place to write.

Mine is the gutter, the slum, the dark corner of life. Mine is confession, hopelessness, and longing. And after all that, I cry out for help.

This is my place in music.
And I wouldn't change it.

2 comments:

ThePraisinRaisin said...

We don't know each other... I was just kind of searching through some blogs and such on here, and stumbled across yours. I really enjoy reading what you have to say about art, music, being a follower of Jesus, and just life in general.

Keep writing! I really love reading.

wes

Nathaniel FitzGerald said...

Thank you.
Now that I know my blog is almost awkwardly widely read...