Friday, March 20, 2009

Music As A Weapon*

Last night I watched a screening of the Invisible Children update. It turns out that just as the peace talks seemed to be working, Joseph Kony (leader of the Lord's Resistance Army) disappeared and attacked the Congo. I watched in pain asking God, 'How can we stop this man without using the same violence that he uses?'

Today in chapel, the speaker spoke against the apathy we have for the poor and lonely and homeless, whose number is growing every day. She challenged us to do something about it. She also quoted Mother Teresa: 'You can do no great thing. Only small things with great love.'
'What will you do?' she asked.
'What can I do about this war?' I asked.

Last night I first began to see the true value of music in activism. Not saying I'm going to write anthems or songs about the terrible things going on in Africa (every time I've tried, it's come out incredibly cheesy). But I can tell others what is going on. I can play benefit shows. I can organize shows at which the film will be screened.
And in regards to the poor and lonely and homeless...what can I do for those in prison or on the street or who have no one? I want to start going out into the streets with a guitar to sit with people and play songs for them. I want to play shows in jails. I just want to use my music to connect with them the same way I use it to connect to others.

I'm so glad I can do this.


*nothing to do with Disturbed or the music festival they host.

No comments: