Saturday, June 14, 2008

I can ride a bike with no handlebars

Tomorrow is my first Sunday at Redeemer Missionary Church. I've had a stretching first week, and it's been absolutely wonderful.

I arrived Monday afternoon around two o clock and spent some time with my pastor and his sixteen year old daughter Krista, then my friend Cody showed up and he joined the mix. A little later, my hosts came over for dinner. I am staying with a woman named Carolyn who teaches a Sunday school class and her sons Matthew (eight), Brian (eighteen), and Dan, who is getting married and moving out next Friday. This family is incredible. Carolyn bends over backwards to accommodate every possible need I might have, even to the point of offering to sleep in the sleeper sofa so I can sleep in her room where I won't be woken in the morning by the three golden retrievers in the house.
I have an enormous debt to hospitality.

There was supposed to be wireless internet in my office, but I have been completely unable to figure out how it works. So instead of spending all day on Facebook, I've been writing out prayer lists, reading the Word, and just listening. I'm wasting so much less time, and I love it.

Wednesday, Cody and I went to Salvation Army, where I met his uncle Chris, who pointed out a Fisher Price record player (which actually plays records, for the record) for nine dollars. Later that night, Chris invited me to his house around ten o clock. We sat in his garage for about an hour talking about just about everything.

I'm very excited about what God is going to do here and in me, because I know that it's going to leave me absolutely stunned. I get the feeling that the people in the church don't exactly know how to take me. They just don't really understand things I do--like how I'm always overdressed for instance. It'll pass, though.

Jon and Jess got married today. They're an absolutely beautiful couple. And to think that I thought they were just stupid kids thinking the other was hot the first time I met them.
I love it when I'm wrong.

No comments: