Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Port Huron Chronicles

I went to Port Huron this weekend. I'm taken such good care of in that town.

It started with a long, jittery day that ended with a wedding rehearsal. I drank two cups of coffee and shouldn't have, because that was half of the jitters. When I finally left, I took 69 instead of 94, which took me a whole hour out of the way. I stopped at a rest stop to see a map to see just how far out of my way I was, and in the process locked my keys in my car. I called 911, they called a wrecking crew, I called my parents, my mom footed the bill. I'm so thankful for parents that help me get out of jams, even when I put myself in them.

Once there, I spent much time with dears Nathaniel, Chelsie, Brittany, Brenden, and Chelsea & her family. I laughed a lot, watched a lot of Batman, was read to by a five year old, got a fedora finally, joined a drum circle, got into the newspaper, ate pie, cut the impeccable hair of Matthew Henion, and sat on a back porch looking at a river with excellent company. Also, I was blessed by Mr. Paul Henion with a brilliant tape deck, for which I am very grateful. The man also makes a fierce apple pie.

On the way back, I took 94, and it took me a grand total of fifty minutes to get back.
Let it be said that for me, fifty minutes is not a road trip. It's a drive up the block. Port Huron has never been so good to me as when it's this close. I'm going back home.

Today in church, one of our elders (who has a heart condition) collapsed into the pew while we were singing. He took a nitro and was taken to the hospital for tests, and he was fine--but it's still scary. I thought I was going to see a man die before my very eyes. Thank the Lord that his time hasn't come.

There's a lot I'm still afraid of. I look at my incredible blunder in getting to Port Huron, and it's so typically nathaniel. I very rarely do anything right. The only reason the Wednesday night service went well is because I listened to what Jesus told me and told them, and then because other people did most of the talking. I'm not very good at public speaking, I know that full well. I got a D in my speech class, and the only speech I did well on was the manuscript, which was my least favorite. I JUST last week understood the exclusive importance of the Gospel, and it was only because I sat still to listen to Jesus for twenty minutes. Since then, I have had such a hard time being still and listening.

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

No comments: