Saturday, July 19, 2008

I Can Be Your Hero, Baby

Tomorrow, I preach my first sermon ever (if you don't count the preachy, half written speeches I had in speech class, which I don't).
Tonight, I have a very important conversation with a very important young lady.
No, I'm not proposing. Just...moving. 'Letting it be' has become to me 'standing still.' And, as a certain violinist would remind me--'many a false step is made standing still.' And so, I'm not standing still anymore. I have to do something about this, because truth be told...I am a man of action, and 'letting it be' while doing nothing just isn't my style. Not to mention that it might be a bit unhealthy with all of the undue stress it brings me.

Thursday, I was praying about the conversation, and I just got this deep, dark feeling that I would be completely turned down, and I just got hopeless. I was still going to have the conversation, but what good is the conversation without any hope? And so, all of the mental preparation I had made completely dissolved, and I was dreading it again, and so I had to start preparing all over again from nothing.

But then...yesterday was sufficient preparation. Colonial Woods had a cruise night and drive in movie. I wasn't doing anything, so I helped out. Dear violinist was on parking lot detail, so I helped her--for twelve hours. During this time, I was announced 'my hero' several times.

I quite like the sound of that.

And suddenly...all of the nerves rapid firing every which way are calm, and with the grace of God, I'm completely ready--for the conversation AND the sermon.

::edit::
On second thought...my spirit is calm. My nerves are not.

2 comments:

Melissa-this-is-real said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa-this-is-real said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.