Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

I'm starting to turn into Bob Dylan these days. I don't know why, but it's just like some sort of infection got into my lungs and started goin' from there, on down into my blood vessels and kidneys and capillaries and everything else in there.

But the secret is, I never wanted to be Bob Dylan. He's already lived, and is still living. His songs have already been written and poems written, and if any more are to be made, he's the one to do it, not me. It ain't me.
I ain't Bob Dylan.

I'm Nathaniel FitzGerald, who might just be almost as eccentric, and might have just as strange things goin' on inside him, but I got a much harder time tryin' to explain whatever those strange things are. Just ask Brenden Bell. I've said so many things to him that he doesn't understand at all.

I'm learning lately that patience ain't a virtue. It's a gift. And if you aren't asking God what on earth He's doing, you don't know Him well enough. Or maybe you can just accept things more than I can, because I know that I think I know so well how things should be. But I haven't ever parted a sea--red, made of reeds, or otherwise. I've never raised anything from the dead. I've just asked the rain to stop before, and it did twice, and once, I clapped my hand and lightning struck. That's all I've got, really. That, and I can play the guitar passably, I can conjure up some lyrics to go with it, and I know what the Bible says about certain things, and I ain't afraid to go to the wall for those things, because that Book's more right than I could ever be.

No comments: