Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence Day Codependence

Yesterday at two thirty, I embarked on my four hour venture back home to Granger, Indiana. It was a somewhat long drive without incident--which is good, given my luck.

When I got home, I spent a long time with Meredith and Lyndsey indulging in general silliness. I've missed them a great deal. That is not to say that I didn't miss Caitlin or Erin, I simply haven't had as much time with them. I doubt I'll get that time with Caitlin--she gets married on Saturday to one Mr. Adam Sandroni, who will be the best brother in law ever. At least until one of the other sisters gets married--then the jury will be back out.

Around this time of year, I can't help but think of how our founding fathers would feel about the way our politics are going--especially with this year's ridiculous election between two ineligible candidates. Also, I wonder how people like Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin and others would react to claims that our country was founded by Christians. Ben would get a laugh out of that.
It's not that I don't see a depravity in our society--far from it. It's just that saying our nation was founded on generally Christian values (which are found in most religions) is quite different from saying it was founded by Christians.
Besides, Christianity isn't about values. It's about the Gospel. The pure, unadulterated, life-changing Gospel.

No comments: