Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Facts

In no particular order...

Fact: I am the most selfish, lazy, apathetic, prideful people I know behind closed doors. Don't tell me otherwise, because I know how I look to others, and the two are in complete disunity.

Fact: I often think I'm terribly clever in the things that I think and say, and I often don't think what I mean to say through before it's already posted on some billboard for the world to see. I also realize how applicable this fact might be to itself.

Fact: I need to get off of my couch and live life. I may work hard eight hours a day, but a great deal of the rest of the day is spent doing next to nothing.

Fact: I'm too good at ignoring my better judgment for my own good.

Fact: bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

Fact: I often choose the wrong times to make jokes.

Fact: I very often take things far too personally and get flustered over things that I cannot change (Who of you by worrying can add a cubit to his height?).

Fact: I love very imperfectly and often selfishly, not taking into consideration how my actions might affect them. This is related to facts one and two.

Fact: I often seek validation through improper means. This sets dangerous patterns in motion and increases my pridefulness.

Fact: I have started things that have gone the way I have not wanted them to go and have gotten very unreasonably frustrated. This is because I do not like it when things do not go my way--especially lately.

TRUTH: I have come to a place of profound thankfulness for those things that have not gone my way. Some way, in His all sufficient grace, God has used my pride and unreasonable frustration to bring me to a point of realization about myself and how much I seek false validation and how prideful and arrogant I really am and how much my perspective has been shot to Hell (almost literally). It is through that which did not go my way (and everyone that pointed it out, as insensitive as you may have felt (you had no idea it was a big deal, because I didn't either, so how could anyone know?)) that I have come to the point where I realize how fully and completely I must rely on God's grace to fulfill every part of me that is lacking, i.e. idleness, imperfect love, vertical challenges, saying things without thinking them through.

Fact: I'm not worthy of His grace at all.

Truth: He doesn't care. Worth has nothing to do with Grace.
(that's what makes it grace)

No comments: